Church address:
5350 Baillie Street
Vancouver, BC
(on 37th Ave between Cambie and Oak)

Church office address:
2325 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC V6J 3J2
604.558.4400

St John's Vancouver Anglican Church is a community of Christians dedicated to the exposition and teaching of the Word of God, to the spreading of the good news of the Gospel at home and abroad, and to the application of God's purpose in our own lives and families.

From 1859, Anglicans in this province were served by Bishops of British Columbia. Funding came from Britain via the Hudson’s Bay Company and the Church Missionary Society.

The Diocese of New Westminster was established in 1879, sponsored by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. The first Bishop of New Westminster, the Reverend Acton Windeyer Sillitoe, Chaplain to HRH Princess Alice, was appointed by royal license and consecrated in Croydon, England, by the Archbishop of Canterbury.

In 1910, Rev. Adam Urias dePencier became the first Anglican Bishop consecrated west of the Canadian Rockies. He built See House, at 1426 Nanton Avenue, converting a room in the basement to a chapel. When numbers increased, in 1925, he encouraged the building of the first church on the site, and a temporary structure was built at 1470 Nanton Avenue.

Fund-raising for the present building at 1490 Nanton Avenue commenced in 1945, spearheaded by the Reverend Dr. Norman Larmonth, rector of St. John’s. Funds were raised from all over the Lower Mainland, some coming from outside the Anglican community. Construction began in 1949 and the cornerstone was laid by J.E. McMullen K.C. on May 29, 1949. The church was dedicated on June 18, 1950.

Of note are the sanctuary and chancel memorial windows, made of 11th century glass fragments from Canterbury Cathedral, shattered during the bombing raids of World War II. They were, by special permission of the Cathedral, given to Archdeacon Greig, a parishioner during the war. The windows, a memorial gift of the Greig family, were dedicated on December 6, 1970.

The church building is a memorial to men and women who served and died in the Second World War and it was built by the people of this community, bonded by a common desire to build a living memorial.

The word of God continues to be preached every Sunday at St. John’s church. God has greatly blessed our worship, our praise, and our service in this place as we teach and learn to love one another, and share the gospel of Jesus Christ.
 

Resources

Contact

Related