Saturday, December 16 // First Noel // 10:00 am & 2:00 pm // VanDusen Garden
Sunday, December 17 // Nine Lessons & Carols // 4:30 pm
Sunday, December 24 Morning // Holy Communion // 10:00 am
Sunday, December 24 Evening // Contemporary Family Service 5:00 pm // Evening Prayer & Eats 8:00 pm // Holy Communion 10:00 pm
Monday, December 25 // Holy Communion // 10:00 am
All services are held at 5350 Baillie Street unless otherwise noted
Regular Sunday Service Times through December: 8:00 am // 10:00 am // 6:00 pm
Resources for the season
+ Christmas Chest of Ideas
This Christmas, we have compiled this list of ideas for how you can both reach out and build community around the Christmas season.
Throw a Party:
- Host your own Little Christmas on December 23. Invite your friends and neighbours over to share a meal and to explain what Christmas means to you.
- Organize caroling with the neighbourhood kids and invite them and their parents over for hot chocolate, treats, and Christmas story.
- Host an International Christmas Party for people new to the city. Make the event a potluck and invite people to contribute a local dish or food from their country of origin. Teach Christmas carols and have table activities that introduce Christmas traditions and the Christmas narrative.
Put it in Writing:
- Hand-write Christmas cards to neighbours and pray for the people as you sign the cards.
- Invite your friends to some of St. John’s Christmas events and services.
Acts of Generosity:
- Bring Christmas baking to Christmas Eve Eats, our party between the 8:00 pm and 10:00 pm Christmas Eve services! If you are able to do this let Donna know (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Gift a gift or card to people who you are in regular contact with. For example: bus drivers, shop keepers, parking attendants, dentists, newpaper delivery person.
- Volunteer at an organization that needs extra help around Christmas.
Give a gift:
Books for Kids
- Song of the Stars: A Christmas Story by Sally Lloyd-Jones
- My Merry Christmas by Sally Lloyd-Jones
- The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Books for Adults
- Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ by Tim Keller
- The Problem of God: Answering a Skeptic's Challenges to Christianity by Mark Clark
- Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry
- Lila or Gilead by Marilynne Robinson
+ Practicing Advent
Each year we create a daily liturgy for you to practice throughout Advent. Click on the button below to access the digital copy.